February 2021 Newsletter
Learning Stars Preschool
February 2021 Newsletter
The year is off to a great start so far and we are enjoying spending the winter season with you and your children. As January ends and February begins, our school’s focus and appreciation turn to friendship. The staff has discussed and chosen to create our own unique Montessori ways to honoring relationships this month. Our students are learning to identify and name objects in the world.
Language Arts We will continue with our winter animal cards at “Circle time”. February’s animals will include a ground hog, coyote, and a chickadee. We will continue to incorporate actions (modeling) and words of kindness, such as “gentle, please, thank you and asking a friend “are you ok?”
Practical Life color ice cubes melt. Our students will continue practical life works such as sponge squeezing, scooping, and pouring. This month’s cooking project will involve making friendship mix. Ingredients include cheerios, puffs, and raisins.
Fine Motor Fine motor skills are defined as the ability to control and coordinate small muscles of the wrist and hand. Reaching for objects, stacking blocks, shape sorters, turning a page in a book, puzzles, magnetic rods, nesting cubes, balls, and posting. These are examples of activities that promote fine motor development in our room.
Art: Valentines/puff paint/ and finger paint
Math/Sensorial · Sorting work. · Challenging nesting boxes / holes to line up. · Layer puzzle.
Science Water Science…we will experiment with food coloring & different cooking utensils to help the kids observe some simple scientific principles: · Food coloring added to water will create changes they can see. · Stirring water creates currents and swirls. · Some objects will sink, and others will float. · A small amount of water left sitting in a bowl for several days will evaporate.
Our programs are designed to provide an environment of individual education, tailored to each child’s learning style and capabilities. Our students are taught math, reading, spelling and science, using special materials and methodologies.
The Montessori curriculum is individualized to each child’s needs, so the child may learn at their own pace in their own interested areas. We offer a diverse program from art, math, and science, to keep every young mind motivated and excited in their daily activities.
Dates to Remember § February 15 th:
School closed for the observance of President’s Day
Activities are changed regularly in response to children’s need for variety and challenge as they grow and learn.
- Letters: K and L
- Numbers: 9 and 10
- Colors: All basic colors
- Shapes: All basic shapes
- Songs:” Valentines are Fun to make”,” Be My Valentine” and “I am a Little Doctor”.
- Books: “Who is My Valentine”, “Lily’s Garden of India”, “Be Honest” and “Three Cheers for Tacky”.
- Safety Topic: Traffic Rules. We must follow all traffic rules to avoid all kinds of dangers.
- Special Activities: We will be making Valentine’s Day cards at the same time we will discuss how to care for one another.
Ways we stay healthy
- Frequent hand washing is the best way to prevent many illnesses – students wash their hands many times throughout the day.
- We clean, disinfect, and sanitize toys, furniture, and other objects in the classrooms.
- The outdoor areas are clean and maintained
- Menu consists of healthy meals to boost immunity
- All our students are vaccinated